- Developer: John Graybeal
- Designer: Ilya Zaslavsky
- Architect: Maurice Manning
Define scenarios for searching for oceanographic data that can inform our search functions. Examples include searching with ranges of altitude above the ocean floor, searching relative to different sea-level references, or searching within certain conditions (salinity within a range).
- Architecture and Design - this is the main page
- [Data Management] - this is the subsystem page
- [syseng:CIAD DM OV Discovery] - specific page relating to search (currently empty)
- (delete me) List other inputs, such as current implementations, use cases, results from previous tasks, dependencies needed etc.
- Describe a semantic search service
- (delete me) List the assumptions applying to this task.
- (delete me) List the necessary dependencies that need to be fulfilled before starting this task
We want to describe the principal corners of the geospatial search space, ideally in terms consistent with ocean scientist tasks.
We are only focusing on geospatial search, and particularly trying to bring out the kinds of searches that are unique to this domain.
- List example search types to describe
- Create a short scenario for each
- If time, have reviewed by our in-team scientists (Oscar, John, Frank)
3-5 short search scenarios
- Basic: Find data within 2-d bounding box or named area
- Refinement: Overlapping With, Wholly Contained In, Mostly Contained In
- Refinement: Find raw data of an instrument that does not incorporate location in its data records (mooring case)
- Refinement: Find raw data of an instrument that does not incorporate location in its data records (glider case)
- Refinement: Take location error bars into account
- Basic: Find data within 3-d bounding cube or named volume
- Refinement: Mostly Contained In
- Refinement: relative to specified datum (e.g., WGS-84) — reference ellipsoid or sea level
- Refinement: relative to benthic surface (e.g., within this lat/lon, between 30m and 60m above sea floor)
- Basic: Find data within bounding area that meets the additional condition of time within a given range
- Basic: Find data within bounding area that meets the additional condition of a variable (e.g., temperature) within a given range
- Refinement: Multiple additional conditions
- Advanced: Find out how many entities meet the search criteria.
- Refinement: Provide an indication of how many entities meet the search criteria in real-time (for immediate update in the user interface).
(delete me) Fill out sections above in design period (as much as possible). Fill out sections below after completion of the task