This is the home page describing construction for the Ocean Observatories Initiative Cyberinfrastructure (OOI CI), including any preceding activities and prototype development. The resulting system is called the OOINet (short for OOI Integrated Observatory Network abbr. ION, or OOI Network). See here for OOI Network Release 2 Documentation.
The OOI Cyberinfrastructure project Construction award commenced October 12, 2009 and will continue through the summer of 2014.
The CI deliverables will be developed and deployed across four releases. Each release typically has 7 iterations of 8 weeks duration. Iterations 1 and 2 make up the Inception phase, leading to the Life Cycle Objectives (LCO) milestone review; iterations 3, 4 and 5 make up the Elaboration phase, leading to the Life Cycle Architecture (LCA) milestone review; iterations 6, 7 and 8 make up the Construction phase, leading to Initial Operating Capability (IOC) and review. The subsequent Transition phase brings the fully integrated release into operations. Iterations may be added to a Release under certain circumstances. The beginning of a subsequent Release's Inception Phase occurs near the end of the Construction phase of the preceding Release.
Starting October 1, 2013 the CI team will begin construction for the "Scope to Complete" effort that will provide an OOI agreed upon scope for Release 3 of OOINet. This release will not utilize the spiral model, but will instead be purely construction in nature (designing, building, testing, and integrating).
The important activities and dates for this release will be:
There will be two beta releases of some of the milestones:
The planning and preparation phase will involve the CI management team and the system leads. The remaining phases will involve the entire development team.
As part of the planning for the scope to complete effort, numerous deliverables and milestones were created. Milestones can be thought of as discrete features that are independently worked on and delivered to a running OOIN test system. Deliverables are rollups of multiple related milestones.
See the following page for a list of all the Deliverables and Milestones that make up the Scope to Complete Release 3 effort:
Release 3 development started August 27, 2012 and overlaps partly with Release 2 Construction Iteration 3 and Release 2 Transition Phase, as well as the envisioned Release 2.1 Construction Iteration 1. The initial work in Release 3 is performed by the CI engineering management team, architecture and product definition teams, to keep the full development team focused on the delivery of Release 1.
NOTE: ALL WORK ON THE "ON-DEMAND MEASUREMENT PROCESSING" RELEASE WAS HALTED IN JANUARY 2013.
Release 3 development started August 27, 2012.
Release 3 Lifecycle Events
Release 2 development started May 2, 2011 and overlaps partly with Release 1 Construction Iteration 3 and Release 1 Transition Phase. The initial work in Release 2 is performed by the CI engineering management team, architecture and product definition teams and the subsystem design experts to keep the development team focused on the delivery of Release 1.
- Meetings — CI R2 Weekly Forum
- Product Specifications — Product Description Release 2
- Release 2 Construction Plan
- Release 2 Elaboration Execution Plan
- Release 2 Construction Execution Plan
Release 2 development started May 2, 2011 with a Kick-Off meeting.
Release 2 Lifecycle Events
- R2 Planning Phase
- R2 Inception Phase (May 2, 2011 to Sep 2, 2011)
- R2 Elaboration Phase (Sep 5, 2011 to Mar 2, 2012)
- R2 Construction Phase (Mar 26, 2012 to Oct 5, 2012)
- R2 Initial Transition Phase
- R2 Transition Activities (Nov 19, 2012 to Jan 18, 2013)
- R2 Additional Construction Phase (Jan 28, 2013 to April 5)
- Construction Phase Iteration 4 (R2C4) - (Jan 28 to April 5, 2013)
- R2 Additional Transition Phase
Release 2 Releases (see OOINet Releases):
- R2.1 Point Release (February 3, 2014)
- R2.2 Point Release (April 18, 2014) - In Progress
- R2.3 Point Release (May 2, 2014) - Planned
Release 1 will be deployed into production July 2011. This release does not target the wide user community, but is intended for narrow customer evaluation.
The OOI program started in September 2009 with the CI construction effort commencing in early October 2009. Release 1 started with the OOI CI Kick-Off Meeting, Sept 9-11, 2009, summarizing progress on the designs and prototype investigations to date and finalizing construction plans.
- R1 Inception Phase
- Inception Phase Iteration 1 (Oct 12 to Dec 2, 2009) - See also Iteration 1 Design Period (Oct 12 to Oct 23, 2009), Subsystem R1 I1 Design Period Report, Wrap-Up Reviews, Teams
- Inception Phase Iteration 2 (Dec 3, 2009 to Feb 11, 2010) - See also Iteration 2 Design Period (Dec 3 to Dec 16, 2009)
- Life Cycle Objectives (LCO) Review (Feb 12 to Feb 26, 2010)
- R1 Elaboration Phase
- Elaboration Coordination
- Elaboration Phase Iteration 1 (R1E1) - See also Elaboration 1 Design Period (March 8 to March 19, 2010)
- Elaboration Phase Iteration 2 (R1E2) - See also Elaboration 2 Design Workshop (May 2010 at UCSD), Wrap-Up Reviews
- Elaboration Phase Iteration 3 (R1E3) - See also Elaboration 3 Design Period (June 21 - July 2, 2010)
- Life Cycle Architecture (LCA) Review (August 24-25, 2010)
- R1 Construction Phase
- Construction Phase Iteration 1 (R1C1) - See also Construction 1 Design Period (Sept 7 - Sept 17, 2010)
- Construction Phase Iteration 2 (R1C2) - See also Construction 2 Design Period (Dec 1 - Dec 14, 2010)
- Construction Phase Iteration 3 (R1C3) - See also Construction 3 Design Period
- Initial Operating Capability (IOC) Review (May 25, 2011)
- R1 Transition Phase
- R1 Acceptance Phase (Dec 21, 2011)
- [Acceptance Testing ]
- Background Materials — provides references to selected background materials
- New developers' tutorial — on development
- Design Tutorials
- Technology Research
The emphasis of OOI CI development during the pilot period (Jan 2009 continuing through Dec 2009) was on risk reduction through prototyping and on getting ready for construction. Many of the prototype projects follow a 6 week iteration cycle.
- Overview of Prototypes: Table listing OOI prototypes and their descriptions
- Pilot period Prototypes:
Agent Contract Network, Cloud Provisioning Environment, Collaboration Tools, Data Distribution Network Version 1, Data Exchange, Global Load Balancing, Messaging Service, OMF Collaboration, OSSE, Semantic Framework Integration Prototype, SQLstream Prototype, Unstructured Grid Services (with Hyrax integration) and others
- Activities: Field Deployment of the OSSE (Observing System Simulation Experiment) prototype, Nov 2-13 2009, mid-Atlantic Bight