This page is now historical, describing the prototype integration activities in the pre-construction period.
This is the main page describing the integration across the individual CI pilot prototype projects. Here, individual activities are connected in a schedule that leads to the delivery of higher level applications that make use of design and implementation results from the prototype projects.
- Iteration 1 (Feb 2 - March 29) covers fundamentals of the Agent Contract Network (ACN), the Messaging Service (MS), and the Cloud Provisioning Environment (CPE). Ground breaking and ramp up activities are performed within each effort.
- The Agent Contract Network (ACN) investigates fundamentals of contracts and commitments [Deliverables]
- The Data Exchange (DX) prepares work for release Zinc
- The Cloud Provisioning Environment (CPE) investigates the interactions of provisioner, scheduler, controller and performs an exemplar cloud deployment of RabbitMQ [Deliverables]
- The Messaging Service (MS) analyzes AMQP and refines the Magnet frameworks as messaging service client adapter. [Deliverables]
- The Harden Collaboration Tools (HCT) works towards deploying the OOI collaboration tools in the cloud. [Deliverables]
- Iteration 2 (March 30 - May 17 2009) covers the initial integration of the above efforts. The main deliverables are driven by release 1 (Zinc) of the Data Exchange (DX) project:
- The ACN provides a core implementation of a resource agent that provides manageability and control for a resource's life-cycle and its capabilities. This core implementation can then be specialized for specific resource types, such as cloud nodes, processes etc. [Deliverables]
- The MS provides a cloud deployment of the message broker and the Magnet library as standard consumer interface. Resource agents represent the core entities of the service, such as brokers, exchange points and exchange spaces. [Deliverables]
- The CPE provides a standard mechanism for provisioning nodes in the cloud applying a messaging service as underlying communication fabric. It will also provide the operational environment and procedures for managing and monitoring a system in a production environment with failover strategies. [Deliverables]
- The DX provides an installation of the F-TDS data server in the cloud, integrating results based on a messaging broker integration environment and resource agents. [Deliverables]
- The HCT makes the existing collaboration tools production stable for operation in the cloud. [Deliverables]
- Iteration 3 (May 18 - July 5 2009) refines the integration of the results of the first two iterations. In particular it applies the magnet and magnet resource agent frameworks for an operational application deployment in the cloud.
- The ACN refines the notion of contracts and commitments in the scope of communities and resources and push towards an application of the concepts for the messaging service. It will also deliver a Jade/Jess based implementation prototype. [Deliverables]
- The MS refines the Magnet messaging service client. [Deliverables]
- The CPE refines the resource framework and service as roles (clients) within Magnet. [Deliverables]
- The DX delivers an operational, scalable cloud deployment of F-TDS. [Deliverables]
- The HCT applies some of the production stable results for deploying the OOI collaboration tools in the cloud. [Deliverables]
- Iteration 4 (July 6 - August 2009) develops a baseline set of documentation for OOI MREFC construction start. This includes revising architecture and domain models for consistency and latest design decisions, integrating and cross-referencing documentation across subsystems. Produce subsystem pilot period summary reports.
- The ACN develops and end-to-end story describing the goals and solutions of the contract and policy mechanisms using the use case of the messaging service. This integrates all previous results into a consistent story.
- The MS provides a general purpose messaging service client (Magnet) as part of the Python twisted framework.
- The CPE develops the architecture of an elastic cloud provisioning prototype, and specifies the necessary interaction patterns and message formats.
- The DX specifies the core architecture elements and mechanisms of the Data Exchange prototype. Integrates existing technologies.
- The HCT demonstrates successful cloud deployment for OOI collaboration tools and supports operations in the cloud once the switch is made.
- The GLB shows
- The OSSE provides an end-to-end story for the interactive mission planning and control of ocean observation missions, involving tasking autonomous Gliders. Part of the story is the integration of numerical ocean forecast models to drive the glider tasking
The figure below shows dependencies between the different CI pilot prototype project. The two core integrative outcomes are the Magnet framework and the standard operational cloud environment.