Use case deprecated
Select registered data product, define and execute corresponding processing, register derived data product
|This use case has been deprecated in favor of UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow. Its relevant content has been transferred to that use case.|
|Actors||Data Analyst, Cyber Operator|
|Uses||UC.R2.24 Search for Resource (NOTE: meaning "find registered data resource")
UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow (to generate new data product)
("register data product" — NOTE: seems like this particular use case is missing?)
|Is Used By|
|Is Extended By|
|Technical Notes||A data product is a publicly advertised continuous, operational result based on a sequence of automatic and/or manual steps. (Formal OOI Data Products have a more rigorously documented process, but still are created in this way.)|
|Primary Service||Data Processing Services|
This information summarizes the Use Case functionality.
Data analyst selects existing data product in ION. Defines data processing steps and algorithms. The system executes the predefined sequence of steps to derive the data product from unprocessed data anytime the original data source updates; execute the sequence of steps that generates a data product. Steps may include transformation, automatic boundary and zero checks, review and QA annotation, gap filling. For instance, each instrument of the OOI should give rise to 3 [data products]: Unprocessed Data, Basic Data, and Derived Data Products. Every time a data product is derived in this process, it is registered in ION.
- The various ION registries/repositories for data products and data transforms are in place.
- Data Analyst has enough privileges to perform the tasks
- Data Analyst selects the desired data sets to be used as inputs.
- Data Analyst creates a data transform script specifying this transformation (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
- The Data Analyst configures data process definition source data and destination data characteristics (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
- The Data Analyst configures the data transform definition's execution frequency (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
- ION system accepts and registers data transform definition (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
- The Data Analyst enables execution of the data process definition (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
- The arrival of the appropriate event (time or event driven) causes the data process to be executed, creating the new data. Metadata for the produced resources are set automatically by the data process, according to the data process execution definition (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
- The Data Analyst or Observatory Operator verifies completion of the process (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
- The Data Analyst verifies script results are satisfactory (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
- NOTE: here, somehow, whenever a data product is derived (generated by the process), it is registered. By who? i) automatically by ION? ii) by the Data Analyst upon appropriate notification?
- Data process continues operating until deactivated (see UC.R2.21 Transform Data in Workflow).
The data transform definition is registered, is executing successfully according to the prescribed schedule, and is producing the desired products. The derived data products are registered as they are generated.
These comments provide additional context (usually quite technical) for editors of the use case.
Not an end user visible functionality. The actual execution of the steps occurs via coordinating pub/sub processes, not A&S science workflows (A&S R3).