*Edit (add, deprecate, improve) metadata of a resource*
|Actors||Integrated Observatory Operator, Resource Operator,
any user (Anonymous Guest), Register User
|Uses||UC.R2.20 Annotate Resource in Registry|
|Is Used By|
|Is Extended By|
|In Acceptance Scenarios||AS.R2.01B Define Marine Observatory Policies, AS.R2.02C Instrument Life Cycle Support, AS.R2.04A Data Product Leads Drive Core Data Product Creation, AS.R2.04B Curate Data Products|
|Technical Notes||This use case applies to any resource in the Integrated Observatory.|
|Primary Service||OOI Common Data & Metadata Model Part 2|
|UC Status||Mapped + Ready|
This information summarizes the Use Case functionality.
For any resource, provide the following functions: Edit metadata of a resource. Add non-system metadata to a resource. Add system metadata to the resource*. View the resource's metadata and changes to it.
(* = Integrated Observatory Operator only)
- The object's identity (unique identifier) inside the Integrated Observatory is core to the object itself, and is not editable metadata. Identity attributes that apply to other systems are metadata and therefore editable.
- Some or all resource types must support ISO 19115 metadata (basic metadata in R2, more advanced in R3).
- Some metadata may be kept as fields of the object, while others will be maintained as a sequence of associations. This affects the use case minimally; in particular resource versioning is affected if it is handled differently for the two cases.
A resource has been identified and brought into view by an operator or user.
- An OOI user views metadata of the resource
- On selection of any resource, all the associated metadata for that resource can be viewed.
- User viewing the metadata sees only the most recent valid metadata, and at first only the most significant metadata; further metadata is exposed on request.
- Anticipated that in most cases there will be far more information than can be displayed in a single view; a hierarchy of information is displayed.
- <3> Integrated Observatory Operator adds metadata field to a resource
- Integrated Observatory Operator selects any resource and, through an editing interface, adds necessary fields to the resource
- Resource Operator edits any (editable) existing metadata of a resource
- Resource Operator selects any metadata of a resource to be edited, and through an editing interface edits the metadata information.
- The previous metadata information is preserved; it is deprecated but not lost.
- Depending on rules for versioning this resource type, the edit likely updates the resource version.
- <3> An OOI user views the changes of a resource's metadata
- Ideally a user could view the change history of values for any specific metadata, inspecting the history of changes by clicking on the appropriate link.
The resource metadata is as desired.
These comments provide additional context (usually quite technical) for editors of the use case.