Provide an annotation for any subset of data that can be viewed by other users
Referencing Use Cases
Use cases that reference this use case:
A user or software component makes statements (free text comments) about any definable subset of data. The statements may incorporate attachments (associated with this or other resources) or associations (to other resources). Make the statements available to other viewers of any part of that definable subset of data. (Depending on the system role of the original annotator and the viewer, the statements may or may not be shown by default.)
- Identify data subset: Any Registered User [identifies a unique data subset] (the target).
- Choose to annotate: The Registered User selects the button to annotate that target; if the target is not pre-selected, the user must enter its unique identification.
- Enter annotation: The Registered User enters the annotation text for the target in a provided data entry field on the annotation entry window.
- Add attachments and associations: The Registered User incorporates attachments and associations, either through references (identifiers) or using tools provided in the annotation entry window.
- Specify annotation keywords: The Registered User optionally specifies keywords for the annotation (both controlled and free-text keywords are allowed).
- Submit complete annotation: The Registered User submits the completed annotation; the Integrated Observatory registers it with the targeted data.
- See relevant annotations: Any user viewing any part of the annotated unique data subset may see an indication of the annotation, according to policy.
- View selected annotation: Any user seeing an annotation indication may choose to view it, either by mousing over it (pop-up view) or clicking on it (detailed view).
- Customize annotation viewing defaults: Any Registered User may customize the default settings for viewing annotations, for example to hide them or show more detail.