Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date:
27-08-2008

Description: 20080827 Web Presence Meeting Notes

Attendees: Holly, Emily, Gregg, Matthew, John Orcutt, Rita, Mark Stoermer, Nancy Penrose, Cheryl, Jennifer, Carolyn, Deb Kelley, John Delaney

Action Items:  See below

Notes:

Matthew begins by discussing what we currently have and how this makes the web-presence a real thing.  This meeting is about how we bring the tools that Mark has up to the level of Confluence and Alfresco.  Our goal is to put some test stories and mechanism to test its appropriateness and determine if we have it right.  Discussion of the framing of content and exemplar stories.

1) Review last meeting's action items - progress.

Cheryl and John Delaney have submitted their stories.  Others are still running behind.  Deb will talk to John D about reassigning Mike H's tasks.

John and Matthew have reviewed the listing of stories under CI and have a good idea of where they want to go.  Management category sounds like a good idea to Holly.  John agrees and asks Holly for her assistance in setting this up.  Emily and Gregg agree and they take it as their job.  Mark notes that the categories aren't cast in stone.  The main point is to get content into the stories.  These are just associations - adding new categories is very straightforward.  The other test is to limit overlap.  When entering a story - the process is very straightforward and you can make those hyperlinks at that point.  Rita or Nancy will schedule a time for Mark to show them the web site.

2) Review the Confluence page on the Web Presence group: http://ooici.ucsd.edu/spaces/display/WEB/OOI+Collaborative+Web+Presence+-+Home

John indicates that he can take a crack at the comments Holly made in regard to the Confluence page.  Holly agrees that we cannot necessarily address comments - but that comments should be forward-looking.  It will be hard to manage the negative, non-productive comments.  Holly would like to see moderation - Mark agrees that moderation is necessary for all aspects of the site.  Quick response to negative comments is very important.  Someone must have that as their job - to keep those in check.  Matthew would like this to be one (an important one) in the set of web tools ready for FDR.  Commentary should not be available until after FDR.  Holly asks Matthew and Mark if they envision that we would demo something at FDR?  Yes - this would be the electronic blueprint to provide support documents at the FDR.  Through use - the very things we talk about providing the end community is provided to the panel.  This remains the case until we know we have MREFC funds.  Holly is comfortable with the strategy.  The CI is working towards having all of this deployed on Amazon rather than our own computers - to show them that we are using the Cloud as we plan to do for the OOI. 

Mark and John need to discuss this - and Rita will set up the conversation after IFDR.  We can do all the packaging in operations for getting it there.  Matthew understands that he is leaving a lot open - and that will be discussed at this meeting.  Cheryl asks how images should be provided?  Send the highest resolution images as files if possible.  What are the important parts of the image.  Matthew would like to see Confluence used as an exchange of content location.  Alfresco is our chosen authorship and approval management system.  Mark's is nearly at this point - but needs approval prior to publishing.  Holly sees that many of these topics (moderating, etc.) should be discussed in the future to determine how we are going to do these.  Deb asks if this is a requirement from NSF?  Holly states that it is not for this program - but this is the right thing to do.  Everyone agrees that we are resource limited - and the budget would have to include management for these items (if we can afford to implement some or all of them).  Holly isn't going to ask them - as we are a bit further along than they are.

3)  Review the matrix, determine if the stories listed are appropriate, trim or add as necessary.

4) Select 3 to 5 story topics and provide text/content for population on the site

5) Prepare a brief paragraph for each classification to explain what that classification entails...

6) Develop the story list for those classifications not currently included (Management) - Ocean Leadership (Emily and Gregg) action item.

7) Based on the progress discussed - what are the next steps (with persons assigned and deadlines established)?

Continue to have these meetings.  John will modify the confluence page based on Holly's comments.  Mark and Matthew will discuss placement on the cloud.  Rita will arrange for a call for Holly and Mark.   Keep plugging away at the tasks.  Holly and crew will do management list of stories. 

John Delaney points out the RSN put a substantial amount of money into this effort - but it is not clear they can continue to bear the brunt of the development side of things.  He would like to see others come forward to put some effort and support into this effort.  Ocean Leadership and NSF might state when they go public - and we have WBS items in the pilot period.

Call adjourned at 2:32 pm.

Enter labels to add to this page:
Please wait 
Looking for a label? Just start typing.